Our team has provided the medical, psychological and technical services of in vitro fertilization (IVF) for close to 30 years. We have over 2,500 babies born through IVF and advanced reproductive technologies, and many thousands more with other assisted reproductive technologies.
The ART Fertility Program of Alabama is led by Dr. Kathryn Honea, Dr. Virginia Houserman, Dr. Cecil Long and Dr. Chris Allemand who are Board Certified specialists in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. All are skilled in comprehensive infertility care and offer a complete range of infertility services.
All procedures needed for Infertility Evaluation including:
All procedures needed for Ovulation Induction:
- Ovulation induction may include monitoring with ultrasound and endocrine assays
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
All procedures needed for Non-Surgical In Vitro Fertilization including:
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) for severe male factor infertility
- Testicular Epididymal Sperm Aspiration(TESA) for men with no sperm in the ejaculate
- Blastocyst Culture
- Embryo Cryopreservation for Storage
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
- All procedures needed to receive donated eggs
- All procedures needed to receive donated sperm
- All procedures needed to receive donated embryos
- All procedures needed to donate eggs
Fertility Preservation for Egg (Oocyte), Sperm or Embryo Cryopreservation and Storage:
- All procedures needed for individuals with potential loss of fertility related to medical issues
- Laser laparoscopy for endometriosis, adhesions, persistent ovarian cysts
- da Vinci Robotic Surgical System for robotic tubal reversals and robotic myomectomies
- Hysteroscopy, diagnostic and therapeutic
- Microsurgery for tubal reanastomosis (reverse tied tubes) or tubal repair
- Correction of uterine abnormalities such as septum or adhesions
The skilled clinical and laboratory support team includes our Embryology Director, Debbie Merryman, M.Sc., T.S., E.L.D., who leads a team of embryology and andrology technologists. Our clinical team includes six certified nurse practitioners, IVF and Egg Donation coordinators, nurses and our Endocrinology laboratory is managed by Sissy White, MT and her team of medical laboratory technologists.
We offer advanced diagnostic procedures such as vaginal ultrasound, monitoring of ovulation, male factor evaluation including sperm antibody evaluation and autoimmune antibody testing to identify problems with egg and sperm production.
For patients who do not live in the Birmingham or surrounding areas we have additional offices in Huntsville, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa. If you live outside of these areas, we have developed a system that works with your local gynecologist to minimize your time away from home and work.
Counseling is available as needed for support and developing coping skills to deal with infertility and its impact on couples. We also have referrals to collaborative alternative care providers as needed – acupuncture, massage therapy and dietary management counselors.
We provide referrals to trained psychologists, counselors and support groups to assist you in preparing as a couple to deal with the emotional pressures sometimes encountered while undergoing treatment for infertility.
Our Program has been an approved member of the Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) within the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) since 1986. Our Embryology and Andrology Laboratories are accredited by the Reproductive Laboratory Accreditation Program through the College of American Pathology (CAP). Additionally, our Endocrinology Laboratory has been certified through CLIA since 1992. Our Huntsville, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa offices are also certified by CLIA.